HDS Support doesn’t have to be as complicated or as expensive as many think. As studies have indicated, most companies today are incorporating a Third Party Support model for their infrastructure to provide them with additional value along with reduced residual support costs. This is especially true for HDS support.
When looking for Third Party HDS support, there are 5 things you should do or have to be successful:
1. 1.Make sure the organization has the necessary training. Third Party Support organizations that are worth their weight invest in their engineers and they should be able to articulate their knowledge of Hitachi equipment.
2. 2. Any company providing your support should be able to configure the auto-notification to be directed to them. In the case of the HDS 9980 and HDS 9990, any provider that is serious about support should have a product developed to provide the notification. This equipment is extremely redundant so if you wait until you notice there is a problem, you most likely have many issues that have been piling up, which creates a problem. Auto-notification allows the support organization to work on the issues prior to them becoming catastrophic and any good support provider will be able to provide this for you.
3. 3. Speak with the support organization’s engineers. Throw some sample failures at them and see how they respond. It is a great way to quickly learn about their capabilities.
4. 4. Make sure the company is focused on Support. Many companies out there say they provide support but when pulling back the covers, they take contracts just to increase revenue but don’t provide the support necessary for your business. You don’t want to be exposed. A company who focuses solely on support as its business should be a priority in your decision making process.
5. 5. Make sure the company is willing to above and beyond for you. Do they provide you with any value add or to they give you the bare bones of support. A great way to measure what the industry leaders provide can be read here.
It is clear the industry has accepted Third Party Support as a valid and valuable resource for companies. This is especially true when looking at HDS support. In the end you should not only increase your support levels and overall satisfaction but you should also dramatically reduce your annual support costs. If you verify the five items mentioned above, you are well on your way to finding a quality Third Party Support organization.